This offshoot of the Newcastle Cycling Campaign was set up because of several members’ comments on
a) lots of students cycling in Jesmond
b) no child or elderly people cycling
c) lovely flat terrain and proximity to shops
d) lamentable cycling infrastructure
In 2012 we cycled round with councillors and then with officers and pointed out such as
• the lack of safe road crossings
• crazy signing: route lands you on a busy road with no cycle lanes
• the very busy nature of Osborne Road
• the rat runs on cycle routes and the impossible right turnings eg Osborne Road to Haldane Terrarce
Councillors backed us to hold a public meeting, which took place on 20 June 2012, and write a local cycle plan with six routes from residential areas to the shops and schools. The plan asks for
• cycle lanes on Osborne Road
• safe crossings
• route signing
• junction improvements at Highbury
• right turning lanes
• amongst many other improvements.
The plan was received with modest support from officers, and further discussions are expected in the coming months… ie in next financial year, with the inevitable ‘hangup’ of money. We believe that because of the cuts, the city must invest in cycling and we know that government grants are usually drip-fed. So having a design in place really helps to apply for these funds and their short timescales.
With full backing from all Jesmond councillors, we’ll get there – eventually!