In the run up to the AGM we are again pulling together our campaign plan for the coming year. This is so we can organise our volunteer resources by agreeing, prioritising and tackling the important bits that need doing – keeping us transparent and our message clear. As before we will concentrate on the political and institutional barriers to building cycling into Newcastle.
The campaign plan below is in a draft format. At the AGM its contents and rationale will be outlined and discussed with our members. We have identified four areas that need immediate attention:
1) Talking about the transport transition // creating a civic society
- building the economic case for cycling and cycle provision
- modal shift, and how?
links: general educational resource for councillors
2) Infrastructure – building the transport transition
- SCR audit – using Welsh / London audit tools
- identifying rat-runs / zoning (Jesmond, Gosforth, possibly Heaton or other/different areas?)
- development of campaign policy and position statements, as and when
3) Councillor / decision-maker engagement
- council policy review (particularly 1Core) to check the council’s prescribed direction and see how we can work with the council
- creating educational and inspiring resources for ward councillors, such as articles with these topics:
- Who are your voters?
- Which questions should I ask the council officials (engineers and planners)?
- Why is a diverse transport system resilient, inclusive and fair?
- What is modal shift / mode shift?
4) Members engagement
- organise (remaining) cycle infrastructure safaris
- members meetings – if so, what format?
- Space for Cycling campaign ride
- organising talks – if yes, what speakers?
Campaign plans from previous years, including the current plan 2014/15, can be accessed by clicking here
Regular campaign activities not listed above
- editing the newsletter
- keeping our members list updated
- holding committee meetings
- attending council ‘s tech group
- responding to traffic orders, CCAF plans and general transport scrutiny
- speaking at events
- issuing press releases
- running the infrastructure team