Katja presents at Newcastle City Council’s Cycle Forum. The presentation and its findings are based on our experience working with the Newcastle City Council’s councillors and officers since 2010. Good communication and a clear process are as important as leadership and technical expertise.
We outline six areas of improvement.
1. Political leadership (examples Sevilla, NYC)
2. Routes (approval pending)
3. Monitoring data (cycle use before and after, volume and speed of traffic to inform design)
4. Sustainable safety principles for road safety (user need, human psychology)
5. Landuse and transport planning (holistic approach, working together)
6. Design principles (Space for Cycling)